At the seminar, we revealed some opinion research that had been carried out by ComRes exclusively for this event. The research showed that:
- 75% of Councillors believe that the silent majority is overlooked in planning decisions
- 82% of Councillors believe consultation only capture the views of the most vocal people
- 64% believe there is a lack of robust evidence of public opinion
- 46% are likely to more swayed by the opinions of local constituents than national or local planning policy
- 52% believe the National Planning Policy Framework means local authorities will have less say in local planning decisions
- 46% believe the National Planning Policy Framework will be adopted similar to its current form.
A report of the seminar, including the ComRes findings is available at http://nlpplanning.com/uploads/ffiles/2011/10/411102.pdf